Sunday, May 3, 2015

Ella Sarah Gets Dressed   
 by Margaret Chodos-Irvine

Award: Caldecott Honor

About 30 years ago, we had our own very unique and special Ella Sarah living in our home. We had many days just like the one in the story. This book brought a big smile to my face and warm memories to my heart.

Book Talk
Ella Sarah is a strong willed little girl and is absolutely determined to select her own clothes for the day.  This particular day she is adamant about wearing an outfit that makes quite a fashion statement!

Favorite Line in the story:
Ella Sarah says: “I want to wear my pink polka-dot pants, my dress with orange and green flowers, my purple-and-blue striped socks, my yellow shoes and my red hat.”

The whole family chimes in and does their best to convince Ella Sarah to wear some a little more conventional or at least something that doesn’t stand out so much!

It is suggested that she wear a pretty blue dress, some adorable overcalls, a  cute sporty outfit—but Ella Sarah will not have any of it.

Ella Sarah is a girl who knows what she wants!

Suggested Uses as a Mentor Text:
Reading Genre: Realistic Fiction (Strong Female Character)
Reading Workshop: Summarizing, Predicting, Questioning
Writing Workshop:  Narrative Writing, Opinion Writing

Margaret Chodos-Irvine's website: http://chodos-irvine.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment